The Little Acorns mosaic crochet blanket square is a perfect project to try out some mosaic crochet.
Using only basic crochet stitches and simple colorwork, you will have a modern fall square in no time!
(This square was part of the 2021 Cozy Fall Charity Makealong hosted by Knitting with Chopsticks and Noor’s Knits.)
Mosaic Crochet Blanket Square
If you haven’t tried mosaic crochet before, then this little square is a great jumping off point.
The colorwork repeat is very, very simple; honestly, after a couple of rows, you probably won’t even need to consult the written instructions or colorwork chart anymore!
Note: the print-friendly PDF version of this pattern also includes a mosaic crochet colorwork chart, in addition to the written instructions below.
Little Acorns Square
Crochet Blanket Square Pattern
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- ch = chain
- st = stitch
- sk = skip
- sl st = slip stitch
- sc = single crochet
- dc = double crochet
- beg = beginning
- rem = remaining
- C1 = Color 1
- C2 = Color 2
- RS = Right Side
- WS = Wrong Side
This square is worked in rows from the bottom up, finishing with a trim of sc sts around the edge of the square.
- Ch 1 at the start of each row does not count as a stitch.
- The stitch count for each row is given in [ ] at the end of the row. If no stitch count is given, then the count is the same as the previous row.
- N.B. For all C2 rows, “ch 2, sk next st” counts as ONE stitch.
- This square is worked using the “overlay” mosaic crochet technique.
- Rows are worked as a pair e.g. Row 1a, Row 1b, Row 2a, Row 2b etc
- Each pair is worked in a single color – there are no “mid-row” color changes.
- You can either follow the written instructions in the pattern below, or use the colorwork chart in the print-friendly PDF.
- At the end of each “b” row, change color on the last yarn over of the last sc, and then begin the next “a” row with the new color.
- Between row pairs, do not cut yarn unless instructed to do so; you will simply float the new yarn up as required for each color change.
Mosaic Crochet Charts
- Starting in the bottom right corner, read the chart from the bottom upwards as follows:
- read “a” rows from right to left
- read “b” rows from left to right
- For C1 “a” rows:
- a C1 square with a C2 square underneath it → sc
- a C1 square with another C1 square underneath it → dc in the skipped st of the SAME color 3 rows below
- For C1 “b” rows:
- sc in each st (whether it is a sc or a dc)
- For C2 “a” rows:
- a C2 square with a C1 square underneath it → sc
- a C1 square indicates “ch 2, sk next st”
- For C2 “b” rows:
- work as for the previous C2 “a” row
8” x 8” / 20cm x 20cm (blocked)
13 sts x 15 rows = 4″ x 4″ / 10 cm x 10 cm measured over sc (blocked).
Hook: 5.5mm (I-9) (or hook required to meet gauge).
Yarn: Any #4/Medium/Worsted weight yarn in two colors.
The amounts given here are for Stylecraft Special Aran (214yds/196m per 100g skein; Weight: #4/Medium/Worsted; 100% Acrylic).
- C1 (Cream): 79 yds / 72m
- C2 (Copper): 79 yds / 72m
- TOTAL: 158 yds / 144m
- Yarn needle
For this pattern, you can follow the written instructions here, or use the colorwork chart in the print-friendly PDF.
Beginning with C1, you will alternate between C1 and C2 every two rows.
At the end of each “b” row, change color on the last yarn over of the last sc.
Row 1a (RS): With C1, ch 26, sc in second ch from hook and each ch across, turn. 
Row 1b (WS): Ch 1 (does not count as a st, here and throughout), sc in each st across (changing to C2 on last yarn over), turn. 
Row 2a: With C2, ch 1, sc in each of first 2 sts, *ch 2, sk next st, sc in next st; repeat from * until 1 st rem, sc in last st, turn.
Row 2b: Repeat Row 2a (changing to C1 on last yarn over), turn.
Row 3a: With C1, sc in each of first 2 sts, *(working in front of ch-2 pair) dc in next st 3 rows below, sc in next st; repeat from * until 1 st rem, sc in last st, turn.
Row 3b: Ch 1, sc in each st across (changing to C2 on last yarn over), turn.
Row 4a: With C2, ch 1, sc in first st, *ch 2, sk next st, sc in next st; repeat from * across, turn.
Row 4b: Repeat Row 4a (changing to C1 on last yarn over), turn.
Row 5a: With C1, sc in first st, *(working in front of ch-2 pair) dc in next st 3 rows below, sc in next st; repeat from * until 1 st rem, sc in last st, turn.
Row 5b: Ch 1, sc in each st across (changing to C2 on last yarn over), turn.
Row 6a – 13b: Repeat Rows 2a – 5b twice more.
Rows 14a – 15b: Repeat Rows 2a – 3b once more. (N.B. ensure you end on a C1 pair.)
Cut and fasten off C1 (but not C2).
With C2, ch 1, sc in each st across, ch 2 to turn corner, sc evenly around rem 3 edges of your square (working ch 2 at each corner), sl st to join to beg sc.
Cut yarn and fasten off.
Weave in ends. Block square to 8” x 8” / 20cm x 20cm.
I hope you have enjoyed this pattern, if you have questions at all, please don't hesitate to contact me. And be sure to tag your finished project on Instagram or Facebook using @nedandmimi or #nedandmimi!