In this tutorial you will learn how to seamlessly join Tunisian crochet panels or strips. This is a great technique to know if you are working on a larger Tunisian crochet project, and don’t fancy using (or don’t have!) a long Tunisian cable.
For this tutorial we will create a simple swatch, and all the details are below 🙂
This tutorial assumes that you are familiar with the basics of Tunisian crochet and the Tunisian Simple Stitch (Tss). If you are brand new to Tunisian crochet, you can learn the basics of how to Tunisian crochet here.
Yarn: Any! I used Lion Brand Heartland, which is a #4/Medium/Worsted weight yarn.
Hook: Any hook that is appropriate for your chosen yarn. (With Tunisian crochet, you generally want to go up a couple of sizes from the recommended hook size.)
For my swatch, I used an 8mm/L-11 hook (the recommended hook for my yarn was 6mm/J-10).
Note: You do not need a special Tunisian crochet hook for this tutorial. But, if you are looking to invest in a Tunisian crochet hook set, I absolutely love this Addi bamboo set.
- Stitch counts are given as “loops on hook” in [ ] at the end of each row.
- First loop on the hook is not counted as a stitch.
- End stitch: This is the last stitch on a Forward Pass (FwP). You will always work this stitch through both loops. In this tutorial the end stitch is written separately as “work end st.”
Abbreviations (US Terms)
ch = chain
st = stitch
Tss = Tunisian Simple Stitch
FwP = Forward Pass
RetP = Return Pass
C1 = Color 1
C2 = Color 2
- Yarn: Any! I used Lion Brand Heartland, which is a #4/Medium/Worsted weight yarn.
- Hook: Any hook that is appropriate for your chosen yarn. (With Tunisian crochet, you generally want to go up a couple of sizes from the recommended hook size.)
- For my swatch, I used an 8mm/L-11 hook (the recommended hook for my yarn was 6mm/J-10).
Step 1: Set up - crochet a small Tss swatch
- With C1, ch 11. Crochet a small swatch (approx. 8 rows) in Tunisian Simple Stitch (Tss). This is Panel 1.
- Find the chain at the bottom-right corner of your swatch.
Step 2: Join yarn for Panel 2
- Insert hook into bottom-right chain of Panel 1 (see above).
- Yarn over C2 and pull through.
Step 3: Work Forward Pass (FwdP) of Foundation Row
- With C2, ch 10.
- Pull up a loop in back bump of second ch from hook and each ch across until you reach Panel 1. [10 loops on hook]
Step 4: Join to Panel 1
- Find the edge stitch at the start of Panel 1 Row 1. You will work through the center of this edge st AND the loop directly behind it.
- Insert hook through edge st, and loop behind it.
- Yarn over and pull through. Join made. [11 loops on hook]
Step 5: Work Return Pass (RetP) of Foundation Row
- Yarn over.
- Pull though first two loops on hook.
- Complete RetP as normal.
Step 6: Work FwP of Row 2
- Starting in second vertical bar, Tss across until you reach Panel 1.
- Join to Panel 1 as per Step 4.
- RetP as per Step 5.
Step 7: Work remaining rows of Panel 1
Repeat Row 2 until all rows have been joined to Panel 1.
Step 8: Bind off row
- Insert hook into first vertical bar.
- Yarn over and pull through two loops. Sl st made.
- Repeat sl st bind off across.
- Join to Panel 1 bind off row with another sl st.
I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial!
I love seeing all of your projects; be sure to tag me on Instagram (you can find me here: @nedandmimi), and use #nedandmimi to show off your Tunisian crochet 🙂